Popular Posts

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Book #2 Meg Rosoff’s How I Live Now




Full confession, I’m married to an author and I know how damaging a one-star review can be to someone’s ego. I do not like the star system  and am rethinking whether or not to use Goodreads for that very matter. How I Live Now is one reason why.

I was surprised to find this among the books we were given at ALAN because it was published several years ago. Then, I read the line on the cover “Now a major motion picture.” I sort of remember seeing the film on television a while ago, but after reading the description, deciding not to watch it. But, I also remember hearing from several people how much they liked the book. So, after talking with my son Emery, who told me to not say anything if it I wouldn’t want it said to me, we concluded I should say what I liked about the book—but I can’t help but say the new cover is completely misleading.

How I Live Now is a post-apocalyptic novel about a teenage girl who moves from America to live with her aunt and cousins in England. Her aunt leaves them soon after to travel to Oslo to try to negotiate a peace treaty. Then, an unknown and unidentified enemy soon occupies England and after a blissful love affair (which some people will take issue with), Daisy and her cousin find themselves separated from the rest of their family and must find their ways home.  

Okay, good parts (first, Ms. Rosoff has a neat blog, which hasn't been updated lately, but is entertaining). The lack of details about the conflict and the very few scenes of violence focus this novel on the relationships between characters. The writing at the end of the novel, especially the symbolism, makes up for the beginning. I guess if I were going to try to write a literary analysis of the novel, I might focus on the pastoral elements of the novel . . . and as a former English teacher, I could come up with several prompts on understatement, symbolism, and literary allusions (which I’m sure are there, but I’m not going back to look for them). There’s an interesting hint of the supernatural, and I wish Rosoff had explored that just a little bit more instead of just repeating what certain characters could sense. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but I’m not trying to include spoilers.

I think my problem is I just wanted more. A review on Amazon did call it a crossover book for adults and young adults, which might explain my reading—since I was reading through a young adult lens. Perhaps previous novels I’ve read in this genre have spoiled me. I like this type of plot; as a teenager I fell in love with Alas, Babylon and I admire the young adult novels, Ashfall and the Life as We Knew It.

Tomorrow, I will do the chess book--just didn't have it with me today when I had time to write my post while waiting for my flat tire to be fixed.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-i-live-now-meg-rosoff/1100290701?ean=9780449819609

No comments:

Post a Comment