Popular Posts

Saturday, August 26, 2017

What kind of service brings you joy?


Emery working the light board at the Junie B. Jones Show

Last week, our priest cited Mother Theresa (now Saint): “I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy.”
— Mother Teresa

Service has been on my mind for a while. As a high schooler, I joined the Beta Club and began a year of serving others, in hospitals, in malls (at the angel tree), and in shelters. I don’t know why I joined the club. My close friends weren’t in it—to be honest, a teacher probably suggested it (which is how I became an English teacher instead of a science one). But, I still remember those moments and the joy they brought me.

As a faculty member, I applied for a service-learning program in which faculty learn how to incorporate service into their courses. The point behind service-learning is that students learn as much from the entity they serve as the entity benefits from their service. It’s a rewarding reciprocal approach to learning which brings to life course content. I applied (mainly because it came with a stipend) but I came away with a new appreciation of brining the community into the classroom (we partnered with local libraries).

It’s no secret that part of the college preparation journey is making sure your child has some sort of community service. And, of course, that’s been on my mind for Emery’s preparation. And, I’ve seen so many scholarship applicants’ service endeavors that it’s overwhelming. The final projects for Eagle Scouts for example (my cousin Max’s is an example) are amazing.

But, Emery has no service. He’s never asked to take part in volunteering (probably because he’s so busy), but he might not have know what options he might have. Also, all of the opportunities he’s heard of deal with working with younger children, which he’s really not interested in.

But it wasn’t until we met with Emery’s counselor last year (a meeting I asked for, by the way because if you’re kid is “doing fine” you will never meet with a counselor or administrator unless you ask), that I understood how to approach you child about service.

She suggested that service should relate to your children’s interest. Well, that’s theatre, fencing, composing, and chess. So, this year, he’s volunteering with community theatre, organizations that depend on volunteers to run productions. I don’t know that it’s the service I’d pick for Emery, but it’s what he knows, they need him, and I hope he’s experiencing joy from running the lights at their shows.

Emery’s side
I agree with everything my mother has said so far. When choosing a community service, I at first wanted something that I would enjoy, but also helps out the community in a meaningful way. Looking at the options I had, they’re weren’t really any that I would really enjoy. So, I just chose running lights at a local theatre. It’s not much to brag about, but I enjoy it, being able to do something I like, with people I like. If I was to do something I wouldn’t enjoy, I would at least talk a few of my friends into doing it. I know that things that would normally be awful, are suddenly great when with a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment