Popular Posts

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Biggest Loser and A Book Review of Ken Baker’s How I got Skinny, Famous, and Fell Madly in Love




I think I’ve mentioned before that not only am I a reality television fan, but it also makes up one of my research strands. I’ve published several articles on using reality television in the classroom (one of the challenges I hold in my class is to take my preservice teachers to Office Depot, give them $50 pretend dollars, and have them “buy” the supplies they think they need for their first classrooms. It was an activity I used to do in the classroom—it became much better when they could actually go to a store).

Rather than watch the “lifestyle” shows, I tend to watch the competition shows, like Project Runway, Top Chef, America’s Next Top Model, American Idol, and occasionally the Biggest Loser. I stopped watching it when they didn’t have Jillian and early on when contestants had to vote each other off (I hate that). And, I was extremely nervous last season when they included 3 children on the show (they were not contestants and they did not weigh them).

Which is why the premise of Ken Baker’s new book How I Got Skinny, Famous and Fell Madly in Love (scheduled to come out in May) worried me. Here’s a book about a teenage girl, Emery, who agrees to go on a reality television show. The premise of the show, Fifty Pounds to Freedom, is that Emery agrees to work with a team of experts in order to lose fifty pounds in fifty days. For reasons that I won’t spoil, she agrees to appear on the show for a number of reasons.

Another set of absent/ bad parents appears in this book (I alluded to the momager in my last post) and a misguided, narcissistic, spoiled sibling. But, Emery is the star of the book and rightly so. She’s smart and funny and, for the most part, well aware of the intentions of those around her. It’s a book for high schoolers and right after I finished reading it, I gave it to my favorite librarian and asked her to read it. I just wanted to talk to somebody about it.

What I like about this book is it’s so very timely. Baker focuses on the popularity of reality television and Youtube and their power to make people overnight sensations and that some teenagers aspire to earn that kind of fame. What I wonder about is the lack of consequences Emery faces. Her life hasn’t been easy, but she takes some actions in the last third of the book that are potentially dangerous, risky, and questionable. I wish someone had given Baker 30-50 more pages and asked him to inject a little Laurie Halse Anderson into his novel.

Speaking of Laurie Halse Anderson, I’m reading her latest book next while I wait for The Biggest Loser finale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment