Popular Posts

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Summer Reading, Having Some Fun




So, what did your kid (if you have one) read for his or her summer reading? Mine had to read The Report Card by Andrew Clements. School starts next Thursday and he’s not done yet, but I think he’s close. He seems to like it because he’s shared scenes with us and I’ll hear him chuckling from the back seat of the car. He’s read other books by Clements before including Frindle (we read that together at night) and Lunch Money, which he read to himself.

I don’t recall seeing what he was supposed to do with his summer reading other than read the book, but a quick glance at his school's website reveals that he should be able to answer a few discussion questions, including various levels of questions such as recall and evaluate. As an English/ Language Arts person, I’m torn on the topic of summer reading. On the one hand, I appreciate those teachers who encourage students to read for pleasure. Reading after all, has been used to address “summer reading setback.” Allington et al has done substantial research in this area and the ways summer reading might help close the achievement gap and concludes that easy access to self-selected texts can help in this endeavor.  I’m trying not to turn this blog into an academic endeavor, and I’m feeling the urge to cite a bunch of research supporting effective strategies for summer reading, so I’ll conclude this section with three links I found interesting in regards to summer reading:

1. Here’s a June 2013 New York Times’ piece “28 Summer Reading Suggestions from College Admission Experts” by Brennan Barnard. Titles for students, parents, and everyone—is it every too early? I didn't see the film Admission, but I'm currently reading the novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz. It's interesting to learn a little bit about the process of applying to ivy league institutions and the parent in me wants to completely restructure Emery's path to college (he's decided to go into video games, so of course, none of this knowledge I'm gaining will help him). 

2. Some neat ideas to encourage summer reading compiled from librarians and found on the Scholastic site.

3.  Finally, here’s a site with further links directing readers to what’s being assigned in various states as well as good recommendations for specific tastes (so, not just books for boys, but books for teen boys, books for boys who like history, etc.) It’s kind of a cumbersome page and one could spend a lot of time of it . . . 

As a middle/ high school student, I only recall being assigned summer reading once—the semester before AP American History, we were to read James Michener’s Chesapeake and Centennial. I fell in love with these huge texts and went on to read Mexico. We never discussed the books—not once. And, I never brought them up. At the time, it didn’t bother me.

I once worked at a school that required summer reading for its AP courses. I agonized over the choices and chose four novels. I also gave an assignment to be completed before the beginning of school. I cringe at the memory.

If I were to give summer reading now, and speaking as a parent, I think a little guidance would be nice. Here are some guidelines
1.    Chose an engaging text, and if possible, offer choices.
2.    Explain the purpose behind assigning summer reading.
3.    If the summer reading is purely for pleasure, great. If not,
         let parents/ students know what will be expected from them. Should students be able to take a quiz on the book the day they return? Discuss the book as a class?
   
That’s all I can think of. What successful summer reading experiences have you had?  I’ll share that the summer reading program at our local library in which patrons read a certain number of books for rewards really doesn’t motivate Emery and that form sits at home blank, just like last summer. A great book seems to be enough incentive. 


Emery’s comment: I put it off because I forgot where the book was! [I think I hid it]. There are also other books I have not read like No Talking and Lost and Found. i am also reading the sequel to Charlie joe jackson's guide to not reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment