Popular Posts

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Middle Earth Comes to My House


Merry (on left); Pippin (on right)



Emery turned 10 this past week. For his birthday, he wanted a cat since my two very old cats have died in the past two years (one earlier this year) and these were his dear companions (they would sit on his lap while he played video games on our couch). So, Monday we went to our vet to ask for advice. I’m not sure why I wanted to take Emery to our vet to have her teach him about taking care of a pet (I probably read about the idea in a magazine or it is a result of never starting a new project without doing some research first), but it was a wonderful experiences and she has undoubtedly done this before.

Emery asked some very good questions, including how would they react to his violin playing and how could he make them feel comfortable in our home. As for me, I wanted to know about where one can go to find kittens to adopt. (Secretly, I had hoped our vet would say, “How about this kitty someone dropped off a few days ago?”).

It turns out Emery had seen a Project Purr billboard one night on the way to fencing and had been visiting their site surreptitiously through his DS. PP are a wonderful organization that really supports cats’ wellbeing and saves lives. Becoming a foster parent for them is a huge commitment, and these parents know so much about the cats they care for. And they make those who adopt feel like heroes. That is why we found ourselves waiting for them to set up at the Mall one night last week.

2 hours later, we left with two male kittens in a cardboard carrier (Emery took his time making his decision and examining all of his options). Two kitties my husband named Pippin and Merry (from Lord of the Rings, yep, I told you we were nerds). They had been found abandoned in an apartment complex and, although Emery was fine just adopting one, I couldn’t see splitting them up after their sister had been adopted.

It’s been several days now, and I am so happy. Our experience with Project Purr and our vet (who met them this morning) represents one very responsible, loving way to get a pet, (my first two were 1. From my college roommate’s litter and 2. From an ad in the newspaper). The best part was that this time my family helped in the decision.

What pet stories do you have? What are their names? I think that as professors, it’s quite possible our pets have odd (dare I say pretentious) names. My last cats were named Catullus and Ovid (I was taking Latin at the time I got them).

 Emery’s comment: If you want to get a kitten DON’T keep them in your room they will scratch your feet. Plus if your low on money a plastic spoon makes a great toy. Wear socks around them also.  They are well trained and sweet already (thanks to project purr.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment