Popular Posts

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Tech-free Tuesday Fun during National Poetry Month

Emery making his book spine poem--He even worked in the dictionary!



The several weeks right before the graduate school deadline for exams is always a busy time. In the past week and the one coming up, I have to read 2 dissertations, 1 thesis, and 13 action research projects. And, in addition to that, I’ve been conducting observations in two different classrooms each day. And, of course, that’s in addition to my usual teaching and grading and meetings. I need to plan better for next year.

Both teachers I’m observing are doing poetry units. It is no coincidence that April is National Poetry Month. I’ve never been good as uncovering a poem’s meaning, but I love a good poem. I’m not a poet either, but one of the teachers did something neat with her students that I thought would make a good tech-free Tuesday activity.

It’s called book spine poetry. To get good instructions and examples for kids, check out this site. But it’s rather easy to get. Grab a stack of books and arrange the titles into something that reads like a poem. Here’s the one I did:



Of course, there are limitations. If you don’t have many books or are a digital book reader, you might have to print out a bunch of titles on little slips of paper and arrange them or go to your local library or book store.

Ready to create your own book spine poetry? Consider sending it to Travis Jonker at the School Library Journal. He's posting them. Have fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment