Popular Posts

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Emery wants his own Youtube channel and Boyd’s book It’s complicated.



First, grad students can be wonderful resources for information. They may not recognize it yet, but they really do have the luxury to stay current and immersed in a particular area of interest. And, they are innovative. Rarely do I have the wonderful, crazy, provocative ideas I once did when I was reading Lacan for one course, watching punk rock movies in another, and discussing the future of education in another.
Which is why I am grateful I expressed my woes about Emery wanting his own Youtube channel so he can make his own “Let’s Plays.” This student recommended that I read Danah Boyd’s (2014) It’s Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens, which I had actually already heard about on NPR, but then immediately dismissed as one of those books I didn’t need to read yet (heaven help Emery when I can finally justify how to prepare your child for college books). This student patiently explained to me (my apologies if I paraphrase this conversation inaccurately) that Boyd argues that many parents’ fears about their children going online might not come true—that our children have this “imagined community” with whom they will interact, and really, how many people are going to seek out his channel. So, I went to my library and, would you believe it, found an online version of the book.

The book is divided into several chapters and based on eight years of research. Here are the chapter titles:

-identity why do teens seem strange online?
-privacy why do youth share so publicly?
-addiction what makes teens obsessed with social media?
-danger are sexual predators lurking everywhere?
-bullying is social media amplifying meanness and cruelty?
-inequality can social media resolve social divisions?
-literacy are today’s youth digital natives?
-searching for a public of their own

I tried to figure out which chapter to read first by trying to figure out my objections to Emery’s getting his own channel (Victor’s is easy—he would read the bullying chapter as he is afraid of the cruel comments people might make on the site. He might be speaking from personal experience). To be honest, my fear is all of the work I’m going to have to do—help Emery create the channel, purchase all of the equipment he kindly wrote for me in a list and left by my stack of work stuff, figure out how to use all of that equipment, etc. Unfortunately, there’s no chapter on children whose pursuits make more work for the mom who can’t let her son figure it out for himself. . .

So, I read the chapter on addiction because as someone who only blogs (I opened a Twitter account but haven’t posted or even looked back at it since then), it’s hard for me to understand why Victor has to check his Twitter every few minutes during dinner or a concert or while driving.

Basically, Boyd begins with the notion that maybe addiction (she likens the passage of time that goes by to being in Csikszentmihalyi’s flow) is a little too strong of a word and that the public is blaming social media instead of other social ills. She likens the amount of time spent social networking to the time teens used to spend on the phone (I spent hours on the phone as a teen). She says teens are not addicted to the technology but to each other (p. 80).She then moves to a discussion about how societal changes (parental fear, increased structured activity time for youth, etc.) has led to less down time for kids to spend with each other face to face. Guilty as charged.

Boyd ends the chapter without a recommended list of strategies for parents or even an idea of how much is too much but instead with the words: “Rather, adults must recognize what teens are trying to achieve and work with them to find balance and to help them think about what they are encountering” (p. 99).

I think this is a book Victor won’t read, but Emery will. I think it would be a good way to start some of the discussions we should be having—and maybe something he needs to do before we agree to his request.

I just didn’t think it would happen so soon.

Emery's comment: she knows me. now i'm probably going to read the book. also, heaven help me when mom prepares me for college books. i can help figuring out the equipment and i can self-teach quickly! ... okay, i'll need help with imovie but thats about it! though, part 4 of the book does make me re-think this. 

2 comments:

  1. As a father with two daughters (one pre-teen, the other 13) and one college-aged son who has already gone through this, I face the challenge of socially-networked children on a daily basis. There are obvious drawbacks to the new idea of 'social' being digital (as mentioned in the book - sexual predation, bullying, addiction, lack of face-to-face interactions), but, being a social media user and supporter myself, I also see the many benefits.

    My son was never socially engaged at school. He is not what I consider socially awkward, he was just not interested in dealing with people. But through gaming (far more than through other forms of social media), he has established a core group of friends, some of who he now sees IRL, others who he has never met and probably never will.

    As a longtime online gamer, I do believe that gaming and other social media outlets allows for a blurring of social divisions, be those racial, gender, economic, or any other dividing issue. I can say with a fair degree of honesty that the people I hang out with online are probably not the same people I would hang out with in public -- not because I dislike being with them or would not want to be seen with them, but because our social circles IRL simply do not mesh. By establishing an on-going dialogue with these phantom friends (as my wife sometimes refers to them), I have gained a better understanding of other person's points of view on racial profiling, socioeconomic struggles, and other issues that I, as the 'privileged' white middle class male might never have opportunity to hear about otherwise. It has also made me much more attuned to cyber-bullying and racist remarks, which I am quick to squash when I can and report when I cannot.

    My 13 year old daughter is 'dating' a guy that she has never met. He lives in north Louisiana and is a friend of a friend of a friend. I have done some investigation (and I do monitor her accounts at random times) and he seems to be a good kid. I thought it was cute when it started, but they have been 'dating' for 18 months now, something I would not have thought possible of 7th and 8th graders. To them, the interaction through social media is just as real and face-to-face interaction. I would presume that this is a common mindset of the upcoming generation.

    Sorry for the long response, but I would certainly advise that you support and encourage (and monitor) Emery's venture into the realm of social media. There is unquestioned risk of exposure to crude and sometimes hurtful remarks, but if he can learn to ignore the small-minded trolls, there is much to be gained from such experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It's always helpful to hear from rational parents.

      Delete