Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Book #9 Aaron Hartlzer’s Rapture Practice and bonus parenting book




Rapture Practice is Hartlzer’s memoir of growing up on a conservative Christian family. He struggles with the strict rules his mother and father enforce mainly through guilt and tactics such as reminding him “God will know if you [insert sinful behavior here]. Hartzler endures a number of public apologies (sort of reminiscent of those religious leaders who publicly confess their sins) for his sins (ranging from listening to a soft rock radio station to drinking alcohol at a New Year’s party) and with each one, he resolves to hide his behavior better and looks to the day when he will be on his own.

Hartzler’s title is great—probably the best one out of the bunch I’ve read so far. It’s the kind of title that has several possible meanings and captures the themes in the book wonderfully.

Memoirs aren’t really my choice of book, but I have a graduate student who just earned her PhD whom I think will enjoy this book. Her dissertation was on using young adult memoirs with teachers in the hopes that they will use them with their students, and she was saddened by how many of them found the books to be too controversial to use in their classrooms. RP would probably have generated the same response.

I think my favorite parts of Hartlzer’s book are the moments he spends with his grandparents, especially his grandmother. We travel to Emery’s grandparents’ houses several times each year and I hope he is able to form a close relationship with them during these brief visits.  

And now for the bonus book.

I always feel the need for some self-help reading when I get overloaded on children’s and young adult books (I had just read Fako Mustache over the weekend after Emery asked me too—it’s a great, funny read for a boy or a girl and yes, it’s about a fake mustache). So, I was browsing my public library’s digital offerings on my Nook, when I came across Rosalind Wiseman’s Masterminds and Wingmen (she’s the author of Queen Bees and Wannabees).

Masterminds and Wingmen is a perfect companion to Rapture Practice. For example, every time Aaron gets in trouble for doing something “wrong” he vows not to get caught again. According to Wisemen, this is part of an adolescent boy’s behavior. In her chapter “Lying and Reconnaissance,” she writes:

"Don’t take your son’s lies personally. If you do take his lies personally, your anger, embarrassment, and frustration will stop you from teaching him that being truthful is worthwhile and you will teach him instead to hide and deceive more."

I think this statement, in part, explains what happens in Hartlzer’s family each time they catch him lying (apparently, I'm not the only one who noticed the lying part, here's a link to a New York Times review noticing the same thing--also contains a review of Openly Straight, which is also in my box). If you read the author’s blurb about him, you learn he goes onto being an actor and lives with his boyfriend (and I just checked Aaron's site and according to twiiter, they are engaged! Congrats!). At the end of the memoir, I can’t even imagine how he gets to that spot without a tremendous amount of hard work, perseverance, and tears. I would like to know that story too.

Do you have any recommendations for pairing children’s/ young adult books with books about parenting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment